From the President of the Association

Karen Patterson '73, President of the Randolph-Macon Woman's College Alumnae and Randolph College Alumni Association

Karen Patterson ’73, President of the Randolph-Macon Woman’s College Alumnae and Randolph College Alumni Association

This is my last letter to all of you! I have certainly enjoyed my term as Association president—and my heartfelt thanks go to the wonderful women who run the alum office—they make us successful and give the Board all the credit. I have said this before, and I will say it again: volunteering on the Board is rewarding because it gives me the opportunity to give something back to an institution that gave me a lot— as I get older I realize just how much.

And, my absolute favorite thing about “having” to come back to the College is that I get to know women and men who are as smart, talented, and interesting as the women I matriculated with, but who didn’t overlap my student years.

People come and people go, and that constant renewal ensures that Randolph College and its Association Board remain strong and vibrant. The strengths of our new College and Board leadership ensures that both will continue to flourish. The Association has always accomplished a great deal, but there is always more to do—as the school grows it will provide new opportunities for us to support the student body and the campus.

Thanks to all of you (and I include alums, trustees, faculty, staff, administrators, and students in those thanks) who have helped, supported, encouraged, and chided me over the years. I never accept a job unless I am sure I will be challenged and learn from the experience. Believe me, higher education is a challenging venue, and I have learned a lot! And I’ve enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Remind yourself every so often that although you were a student for only four years, you are an alum for life. Take advantage of all the College still offers you, and lend it your strengths. Randolph College and its students are worth our allegiance and our commitment.

Vita abundantior.

Sincerely,

Karen Patterson ’73
Association President