From the Director of Alumnae and Alumni

Heather Ayers Garnett ’86, Director of Alumnae and Alumni

Heather Ayers Garnett ’86,
Director of Alumnae and Alumni

As I reflect on the Association, I always return to our strongest traits: the strength and energy we have as a group! Everything we do for the College makes a difference. Whether it is making a gift, referring a student, calling friends to encourage attendance at Reunion or an event, mentoring a student, or reading the Bulletin and College news, you are taking an active role in the life of the College. Almost every month I read articles in higher education journals which talk about passive and active engagement and ways to further alumnae and alumni involvement. Our collective engagement powers and sustains the College. We need you and your ideas. Please think about how you can be engaged and share your thoughts with me.

The Bulletin is our way to share your stories. While the stories we feature this issue about Alzheimer’s are difficult, it is a disease that many of us face. The shared struggles help us feel we are not alone. This helps us face challenges reassured.

One story in this issue features Alice, whom I have known since the early ’90s when I began working in the Alumnae Office. She has been a strong supporter, not just of the College and the Association, but also to me personally. She continues to offer support and appreciation, and I want her to know what a huge difference she makes to so many in our community. I hope sharing her story reinforces our commitment to our Association and to each other.

Also, I want to give an update on the goals for the Association, which are based on the College’s calendar year (fiscal year 2014-2015). At midpoint I am happy to report:

1. We sent a letter to alumnae and alumni listing geographic scholarships and reminding alums of the $1500 yearly award to students you refer. We have seen an increase in the number of referrals!
  2. We are seeing the new tradition of Homecoming take shape. This was our fourth Homecoming, and each year we have seen attendance numbers
    doubling.
  3. An electronic survey was
    sent to alumnae and alumni in the Classes of 1960 to 2014. We had a 33 percent response rate. Thank you for responding. We will be sharing the collective data soon. You will see changes taking place in programming as a result. Look for details soon.

Please be sure if you live in one of the areas below that you have the following dates reserved to meet President Bateman:
March 8-11

• Portland
  • Seattle
  • Los Angeles
  • Denver

June 17

• Hampton Roads

June 18

• Norfolk (lunch)

July 2

• Cashiers, NC

June 13–17

• London, England

Vita abundantior,

Heather Ayers Garnett ’86
Director of Alumnae and Alumni