From the President of the Association

Dixie Nash Sakolosky ’68

Dixie Nash Sakolosky ’68, Association President

Greetings! It’s a privilege to be the new president of the Association, and I thank Karen Patterson ’73 for her strong leadership over the past three years.

My husband Jim asked what the focus of my term would be. My immediate response was, “Generating enthusiasm for the College!” There’s been hardly a year since I graduated in 1968 that I haven’t been engaged with the College. Early on, I was cajoled into joining the Reunion Planning Committee, and I realized from that time forward that continued connections with the College were good for my spirit. Every trip to the College, interacting with students and alumnae from a range of class years, was affirming. I count alumnae among my most treasured friends. These lasting connections with well-educated, fun, engaged, and articulate alums make each meeting a time of enjoyment and growth.

The characteristics of Randolph College that have endured through generations—the honor system, academic rigor, diversity, and community—buoy me. So do the wonderful enhancements, both academic (e.g., Symposium of Artists and Scholars, the Greek Play, RISE awards for student research) and physical (Student Center and Michels Plaza, the Organic Garden, air conditioning in some residence halls).

This Bulletin explores results of the alumnae survey completed last fall. It is strong testament that 92 percent of respondents were satisfied with their student experience, but it is also clear that many alumnae are disengaged from the College. If you wonder if the College still needs you or if you still make a difference, the answer is a resounding, “Yes!” If you wonder if Randolph is still your college, the answer is also, “Yes!” Come to campus and experience it.

As alumnae and alumni, we are the College’s stakeholders, and it needs our support. We are the bedrock of this wonderful, organic place of wonder, learning, and growth. Our memories are precious, certainly; our commitment to a strong, dynamic, and supportive environment for current and future students is essential. Educator Hunter Rawlings wrote, “Genuine education is not a commodity, it is the awakening of a human being.” Indeed.

Vita abundantior,

Dixie Nash Sakolosky ’68
Association President